This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8515 / 51°51'5"N
Longitude: -2.931 / 2°55'51"W
OS Eastings: 335971
OS Northings: 217402
OS Grid: SO359174
Mapcode National: GBR F9.TFLD
Mapcode Global: VH792.4QVH
Entry Name: Farm Range comprising Fowl House, Cartshed, Barn, Cowhouse and Cider House at Winston Court
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24194
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Approached along a farm track that runs N off the B4521 at W end of Llanvetherine village. The farmyard range lies some 25m SE of the farmhouse at Winston Court.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Winston House, formerly called 'The Great House', belonged in 1840 to a family named Woodcock. It was afterwards purchased by Mr Crawshay Bailey and formed part of his estate. The range of farm buildings was erected by Crawshay Bailey in 1865, although the attached Cider House is earlier, probably early C19.
Substantial C19 linear farm range. Rubble stone, brick dressings; slate roof. N Front faces farmyard. Far left is a two bay lofted cartshed; loft is supported by centre cast iron pillar and upper floor has centre doorway and each side is faced with vertical weatherboarding. To right is barn; centre threshing floor has boarded head and boarded double-doors (single door to left and half doors to right), flanking walls have ventilation openings, with two tiers of two slits on each side. Next is a lofted cowhouse with centre gable. Below gable head is loft doorway with cambered vitrified brick arch and boarded door; ground floor has corresponding doorway, with similar doorway (right). Far right is attached cider house, which has lower walls and roof. Ground floor (left) has cambered arched window with louvres and 3 small overlights, to right is broad cartshed entry with stone voussoired arch and boarded double-doors. Above arch, on first floor is square mullioned loft window with internal shutters. W gable has stone steps leading to boarded loft door. Opposing E gable contains datestone inscribed 'ERECTED BY CRAWSHAY BAILEY 1865'. Attached to E gable is lean-to lofted fowl house with vitrified brick quoins. Entrance doorway has vitrified brick jambs, cambered red brick arch and boarded door. Above is a cambered loft window with red brick dressings which has a centre mullion and internal shutters.
Barn of 5 bays. C19 tie beam trusses, with iron braces to centre. Cider House loft of 3 bays; early C19 roof trusses with notched collars.
Included as a good linear farm range, and for important group value with farmhouse and stable at Winston Court.
Other nearby listed buildings