This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8692 / 51°52'9"N
Longitude: -2.8873 / 2°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 339002
OS Northings: 219334
OS Grid: SO390193
Mapcode National: GBR FC.SDFB
Mapcode Global: VH792.W8YW
Entry Name: Llanvair Chapel
Listing Date: 27 October 2000
Last Amended: 27 October 2000
Source ID: 24299
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Chapel stands in small churchyard in open countryside some 3km NE of Llanvetherine, reached along the minor road to Llanfair Grange.
Community: Llantilio Crossenny (Llandeilo Gresynni)
Community: Llantilio Crossenny
Locality: Llanvair Green
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Llanvair Chapel was designed by T.H. Wyatt and built in 1842 at a cost of £650. The Religious Census return of 1851 remarks that ‘the chapel is endowed with ten pounds per annum from the Chapter of Llandaff and three Pounds 14/8 being the Interest of money invested in the Three Per Cent Consols'. A congregation of 50 attended the afternoon service on Sunday 30 March 1851.
Mid C19 chapel. Victorian Gothic. Coursed rubble stone with stone plinth and slate roof. Gabled W front with bell-cote, W porch, nave, and chancel. W front has projecting single-storey gabled porch, with trefoil in gable-head, and side buttresses with raking offsets. Gable of porch is coped with fleur-de-lys finial. Pointed-arched entrance doorway has hood-mould with foliated label-stops and boarded double-doors with strap hinges . W gable of main chapel, has a lancet window each side of porch. The bellcote projects slightly from the gable wall, rising above porch in two stages. Lower stage has two lancet windows with linked hood- mould; upper stage has pointed arched bell opening and coped gable with kneelers, and small trefoil in gable- head. Nave with angle buttresses and side buttresses between the four lancet windows on each side. Chancel has similar angle buttresses, with three lancet windows in E gable and a trefoil headed lancets in each side wall.
Inner porch has pointed-arched doorway and double-doors with four flush panels each side. W end of chapel is closed-off by massive C20 glazed screen which rises from floor to ceiling. 5-bay nave has pointed chancel arch. King- post tie-beam trusses rest on shaped corbels. Curved angle braces spring at base of king-posts to support principal rafters on each side. C19 font has square drum, octagonal stem, octagonal base with water-holding moulding, and square plinth. Domed stone font cover is crocketed. Pews with open backs and shaped ends. Polygonal pulpit has trefoil panels on each face and shaped rail. Stained glass C20 E window of Virgin and child.
Small mid C19 chapel in consistent, simple Gothic Revival style, retaining contemporary interior fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings