This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1248 / 52°7'29"N
Longitude: -3.5447 / 3°32'41"W
OS Eastings: 294345
OS Northings: 248516
OS Grid: SN943485
Mapcode National: GBR YG.8CCG
Mapcode Global: VH5DG.HVXH
Entry Name: Railway viaduct N of Llwyn Einon (partly in Llangammarch Community)
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24359
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the River Irfon 1.2km SW of Garth village.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Part of the Central Wales Extension Railway opened from Builth to Garth in 1866, and extended to Llanwrtyd in 1867. The line was operated by the London and North Western Railway and from 1922 by the London, Midland and Scottish. The cast iron girders were cast in 1866 by the Brymbo Ironworks (name plates on each girder).
A skewed 3-bay viaduct with snecked rock-faced shale piers and abutments, iron girders supporting the deck, and brick parapet. The piers have wider bases with pointed cutwaters and are extended out on the S side to accommodate an extension of the piers for a second track. The abutments are likewise extended on the S side, beyond which they curve outwards and downwards and have rock-faced copings. The piers have freestone caps below the deck. The deck is constructed of girders and its parapets have shallow terminal and intermediate piers with brick copings, the terminal piers having coarse concrete saddleback copings.
Listed as a substantial railway bridge notable for the early use of flat girders cast at Brymbo to carry the deck, and for group value with a similar bridge spanning the Irfon 400m NE.
Other nearby listed buildings