This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1536 / 52°9'12"N
Longitude: -3.5869 / 3°35'12"W
OS Eastings: 291526
OS Northings: 251775
OS Grid: SN915517
Mapcode National: GBR YF.6DWW
Mapcode Global: VH5DF.S43D
Entry Name: Milestone SE of Eglwys Oen Duw
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24364
Building Class: Communications
Location: Approximately 400m SE of Eglwys Oen Duw on the E side of a minor road between Beulah and Abergwesyn.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The present road between Beulah and Abergwesyn was built in the third quarter of the C19, largely at the instigation of Henry Thomas. The new road was laid out on a more favourable gradient than the earlier road shown on the 1841 Tithe map and was diverted away from Thomas' own house at Llwynmadoc. The milestones all date from the construction of the new road and are shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1888.
A dressed milestone with a rounded top. The face is engraved: 'Llanwrtyd 4 3/4, Garth 3, Abergwesyn 5 1/2'.
Listed for group value as one of a series of 4 mid C19 milestones marking the diversion of the local road by a prominent local landowner.
Other nearby listed buildings