This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2778 / 52°16'40"N
Longitude: -3.5434 / 3°32'36"W
OS Eastings: 294800
OS Northings: 265526
OS Grid: SN948655
Mapcode National: GBR 9H.YL7Y
Mapcode Global: VH5CW.J0MP
Entry Name: Frondorddu Farmhouse, including attached byre
Listing Date: 14 November 2000
Last Amended: 14 November 2000
Source ID: 24377
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N slope of Carn Gafallt reached by farm road to the S of an unclassified road on the S side of the Elan river between Rhayader and Elan village.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built probably in the early C19 but continuing the earlier long-house tradition of incorporating the dwelling and cow house under a single roof. The house and byre are shown on the 1847 Tithe map, when the farm was part of the estate of Lloyd Thomas Lewis of Nantgwillt.
A house of single storey with attic and attached cow house, built on a level platform across the hillside, of rubble stone and continuous slate roof. The house, on the R side, is whitewashed and has a later brick stack to the R end. It is double-fronted with lower storey windows under stone segmental heads and gabled half dormers to the attic. All have small-pane casements. The central boarded door is beneath an overlight. The long cow house on the L side has doorways under large timber lintels and loft openings beneath the eaves. A small lean-to is set back against the L gable end.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 farm and a good later example of incorporating house and byre under a single roof, a type once common in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings