This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2581 / 52°15'29"N
Longitude: -3.6584 / 3°39'30"W
OS Eastings: 286900
OS Northings: 263510
OS Grid: SN869635
Mapcode National: GBR 9B.ZV6Z
Mapcode Global: VH5CT.JHSS
Entry Name: Gauge House at Claerwen Reservoir
Listing Date: 14 November 2000
Last Amended: 14 November 2000
Source ID: 24387
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: Below Claerwen dam on the W side of the stone-lined channel.
Locality: Elan Valley
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Claerwen Reservoir was built by the City of Birmingham Water Department 1948-52. The consulting engineers were Sir William Halcrow & Partners. The contractor was Edmund Nuttall Sons & Co of London.
Small single-storey building of coursed, rock-faced reconstituted stone and the flat roof concealed behind a projecting coping course. A boarded door is on the E side, above which is a bronze plaque with raised lettering commemorating the inauguration of Claerwen Reservoir in October 1952 by Queen Elizabeth II. The side walls have small metal-framed windows incorporating top-hung casements.
Listed for group value with the Claerwen dam.
Other nearby listed buildings