This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3939 / 53°23'38"N
Longitude: -4.5145 / 4°30'52"W
OS Eastings: 232900
OS Northings: 391510
OS Grid: SH329915
Mapcode National: GBR HM7Q.LV3
Mapcode Global: WH41Y.MYGJ
Entry Name: Cartshed-granary with attached agricultural range at Ty Wian
Listing Date: 27 November 2000
Last Amended: 27 November 2000
Source ID: 24425
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: In an isolated rural location set well back from the E side of a country road leading NW from the village of Llanfairynghornwy; c70m NNW of the Church of St Mary.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid C19 granary cartshed. Not marked on the Tithe Map of the parish of Llanfairynghornwy, 1841, although the map is poorly annotated, not all the buildings are shown and none of the agricultural buildings are recorded. Therefore it is possibly that the range was omitted from the plan. The farm was owned by Sir Richard Williams Bulkeley, who also owned the extensive neighbouring farm at Caerau. Ty Wian was itself a large farmstead of over 96 acres(38.9 hectares), the farmer Evan Thomas.
A two storey cartshed-granary with 1-storey agricultural range attached in line. Rubble walls with slobbered mortar; recessed rubble voussoir arches with dripcourse. Slate roof with simple ridge. Two wide cart doors to main (N) elevation (with modern doors) with two granary windows above; 3-panes to the upper part with shutters to the lower. Stone staircase to L (W) gable end, with flights leading down both sides of the gable; wide boarded door to granary. The single storey range attached to the R (W) gable has a single pitch slate roof, with a narrow window to L and a ventilation slit to R; there is a door in the R (W) end wall. Modern corrugated iron shed attached to R.
Listed as a good mid C19 vernacular cartshed-granary range, located on the approach to the farmhouse Ty Wian, and with which it forms a group.
Other nearby listed buildings