This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2532 / 53°15'11"N
Longitude: -3.207 / 3°12'25"W
OS Eastings: 319567
OS Northings: 373591
OS Grid: SJ195735
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z1T.HJ
Mapcode Global: WH76R.QH1C
Entry Name: Ebenezer Chapel
Listing Date: 30 November 2000
Last Amended: 30 November 2000
Source ID: 24444
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the W side of the lane through Dolphin, close to where it is truncated by the A55. Set at an angle to the road and facing SE.
Community: Brynford (Brynffordd)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Baptist chapel dated 1841. The adjoining house appears be a later addition. Both house and chapel were disused at time of inspection.
Single-storey chapel in simple Georgian style with 3-bay lateral-entrance facade. Rendered and lined under a slate roof with raised quoins. House adjoining to R under the same roof, rendered and with a rendered end stack. The front of the chapel is symmetrical. Central entrance with round arched head and keystone containing double planked doors and a plain tympanum. Above is a fine square datestone, slightly inset, inscribed 'Ebenezer Baptist Chapel 1841' and with a decorative motif. Tall flanking windows with round arched heads and stone sills containing multi-pane horned sashes. To the rear (visible from the front door) are 2 flat-headed 6-over-6-pane horned sash windows. The adjoining house has a small brick lean-to porch offset to the L, with a planked door into the L side and a multi-pane window to the front. To the R is a 2-light casement window under a segmental head, and a similar window above, rising to the eaves. The NE gable end has no openings, but there is a small stone lean-to with corrugated roof and end stack, possibly a former bakehouse. Doorway to front with segmental head of voussoirs and window with similar head to end.
The interior is partially derelict. Baptistery pool inside front entrance, box pews to L and R, all in poor condition. The chapel had a boarded and panelled ceiling, but the panels are now missing.
Listed as a little-altered chapel of 1841, the front facade retaining its character and with a particularly fine datestone.
Other nearby listed buildings