This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7506 / 51°45'2"N
Longitude: -4.5981 / 4°35'53"W
OS Eastings: 220757
OS Northings: 208964
OS Grid: SN207089
Mapcode National: GBR GH.HTBX
Mapcode Global: VH2PG.8819
Entry Name: The War Memorial, Marros
Listing Date: 12 January 2001
Last Amended: 12 January 2001
Source ID: 24497
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just E of the Church of Saint Lawrence, S of minor road from Pendine to Amroth, approximately 3km W of Pendine.
Community: Eglwyscummin (Eglwys Gymyn)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
War Memorial of 1930 in the form of a neolithic dolmen, all of limestone from Marros Mountain.
War Memorial, rock-faced limestone, of two big uprights and a lintel on a stone-paved platform approached by 4 curving stone steps from the N. The steps splay out each side and the sides a of the platform are revetted with rough-hewn stone blocks placed one next to the other, those flanking the steps ascending in height, the platform with taller stones at the 4 corners. On the lintel and both uprights are bronze plaques with 'The Great War 1914-1918' and the names of those who served and those who died.
Included as an unusual war memorial, of group value with the parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings