This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1987 / 52°11'55"N
Longitude: -3.4878 / 3°29'16"W
OS Eastings: 298407
OS Northings: 256647
OS Grid: SN984566
Mapcode National: GBR YK.3MGH
Mapcode Global: VH5D3.HZGW
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 12 January 2001
Last Amended: 12 January 2001
Source ID: 24519
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church is set within a polygonal churchyard adjacent to the main road, surrounded by a number of yew trees.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Llanafanfawr (Llanafan Fawr)
Locality: Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The church is C13-14 and retains fabric and a low-level window from that period. The arch-braced roofs are early C16. In 1868 the church was restored by C Buckeridge. New windows were inserted and the walls partly rebuilt with new quoins. The font appears to be medieval but has been recut.
A small church with nave and chancel in one, S porch and N vestry. Constructed of rubble stone, the walls slightly battered, under slate roofs. Trefoil-headed lights throughout. Detail includes large sandstone quoins, and raised copings and cross finials to gables. The gabled porch is offset to the L with sandstone dressings. Pointed arched entrance, chamfered with broach stops, under a hoodmould with square stops. Similar doorway into church, containing a planked door with iron strapwork. The porch has a 2-bay arch-braced roof, probably early C16, and side benches. There are no openings L of the porch. To the R is a small medieval low-level window with monolithic trefoiled head. Taller C19 trefoil-headed lights flanking, one to its L and 2 lighting the chancel. The medieval fabric continues almost to arch spring level of the windows. Three-light window with sexfoil to E end, under a hoodmould with square stops. The N side has a single light to the chancel, to the R of which is the lower gabled vestry. This has single lights as elsewhere to the E and N sides. A bell is attached to the wall in the angle between chancel and vestry. To the R of the vestry are 2 lights. The W end has a 2-light window with quatrefoil and a hoodmould as elsewhere.
The interior has a 7-bay arch-braced roof with 2 raked struts above each brace and 2 purlins to each side. Pews flanking a central aisle with carved bench ends. Quarry tile floor. A circular stoup with moulded top edge is fixed to the wall immediately E of the entrance, above which is a carved head, a former corbel. In the SW corner of the nave is a circular font on a circular stem with 2-tier base, set on a square plinth with canted angles. It appears to be a medieval font which has been recut. The pulpit has a wood panelled front on an octagonal stone base with moulded top edge. Each panel has a 2-light blind arch. The chancel has plain choir stalls, 2 to each side. The low-level window to the S has angled reveals which face towards the nave, and an irregular head. Opposite is the doorway into the vestry, with shouldered lintel. Set into the wide corbelled sill of the window N of the altar, is a shell-shaped piscina. The window immediately S of the altar has a stone window seat. The side windows have coloured margin glazing. On the N wall is a rectangular stone tablet commemorating Thomas Huet (1524-1591) who translated the Book of Revelation into Welsh, and Thomas Price (1787-1848).
Listed as a small rural church retaining medieval fabric and features, especially its fine roof.
Other nearby listed buildings