This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2167 / 53°12'59"N
Longitude: -3.2198 / 3°13'11"W
OS Eastings: 318642
OS Northings: 369538
OS Grid: SJ186695
Mapcode National: GBR 6W.1BCW
Mapcode Global: WH76Y.HDYW
Entry Name: Trellyniau Fawr
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 24538
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a minor road approximately 1km W of Moel-y-crio.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
An early C17 storeyed house, to which a secondary dwelling was added at R angles.
A 2-storey house on a sloping site, the main range of painted rubble, and slate roof with end brick stacks. The stack to the L was originally an external gable stack and is rebuilt in brick over stone. On the L, downhill side is a lower wing at R angles, the former secondary dwelling, and has end stone stacks. An extension against the uphill gable end is C19 and is first shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey.
The main house has a 4-light mullioned and transomed hall window with ovolo mouldings to the L of centre. To its L is a lean-to brick porch with opening in the side wall, and within it a C19 boarded door which opened to the hall. Further L is a smaller 2-light plain-chamfered mullioned hall window. On the R side is a 3-light mullioned window with plain chamfer and drip stone. The upper storey has a 3-light window L and 2-light R of centre, both with wooden frames. The extension against the R gable end has a glazed door L and 2-light casement above. The wing at the downhill end has a boarded door on the R side, a 2-light wooden casement to the L and 2-light window above. Against the gable end of the wing is an added conservatory. The 3-window rear wall of the wing has a replaced door lower L under a brick segmental head, and two 2-light casements at a higher level to its R. In the upper storey are a cross window L, 2-light window to the centre and 3-light window to the R raised above the eaves, all C20 replacements.
The rear of the main range has two 2-light casements in the upper storey above a lean-to with boarded door and a small fixed window to its L.
The original hall and parlour are now a single room. Three cross beams have run-out stops and retain some original stop-chamfered joists. The hall fireplace retains a stop-chamfered lintel. A C17 doorway with wooden frame and Tudor head is in the rear wall of the hall, and may originally have opened to a stair turret. The main range has boarded doors. The doorway inserted between hall and the wing at the downhill end has a panelled door and reveals.
Listed as a C17 regional house type retaining early character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings