History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llanfoi

A Grade II Listed Building in Llaneilian, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4103 / 53°24'36"N

Longitude: -4.3061 / 4°18'21"W

OS Eastings: 246811

OS Northings: 392860

OS Grid: SH468928

Mapcode National: GBR HMRP.D7S

Mapcode Global: WH421.TJNZ

Entry Name: Llanfoi

Listing Date: 12 May 1970

Last Amended: 24 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24547

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Sited along the N side of the country road running through the village of Llaneilian; located c175m WSW of the Church of St Eilian.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llaneilian

Community: Llaneilian

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Amlwch

History

Late C18 vernacular cottage. An inscribed stone over the doorway bears the initials and date: J M P 1777. The Census Returns of 1841 records three separate dwellings, although it cannot be established which record applies to which cottage along the range. One was occupied by Elizabeth Ellis and her 2 teenage daughters, one cottage housed John Williams, miner, his wife, 4 children and one Elizabeth Jones (probably his wife's mother); the third cottage was the home to John Rowlands, weaver, his wife and 2 sons. Between the three cottages there was a total of just under 2 acres(0.809 hectares) of land, the range recorded as being owned, in the Tithe Schedule of 1848, by The Most Noble, The Marquis of Anglesey.

Exterior

A 2 storey, 2 window range with modern doorway and casement windows with slate sills; 1st floor windows in broad gabled half dormers. There is an inscribed stone over the doorway with the initials and date: J M P 1777. Single storey hipped roof bay at R (E) end, with doorway offset to L and single window to R. Single storey modern extension at far R (E) end.

Interior

Interior not inspected at the time of survey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a small rural C18 cottage which, notwithstanding some modernisation, retains its vernacular character and forms a group with the adjacent cottages in the row.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.