This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3774 / 53°22'38"N
Longitude: -4.2884 / 4°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 247870
OS Northings: 389162
OS Grid: SH478891
Mapcode National: GBR HMSS.2CJ
Mapcode Global: WH428.3C5P
Entry Name: Grand Lodge
Listing Date: 24 January 2001
Last Amended: 24 January 2001
Source ID: 24556
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Slightly set back from the E side of a country road leading SE from Nebo towards Traeth Dulas; the lodge is located c200m SE of the Church of St Gwenllwyfo and sited at the SW entrance to the Llys Dul
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid C19 lodge, probably built as part of the general reconstruction and restoration of the Llys Dulas estate between 1854 and 1856, when extensive improvements were made to the properties on the estate and many of the lodges were built; the fortunes of the Llys Dulas estate were founded on the growth of the copper mining industry at Parys Mountain, and the improvements to the estate reflected the growth in fortune of the family. The mansion itself was redesigned and altered to the designs of Benjamin Woodward for Gertrude, Dowager Lady Dinorben, second wife and widow to William Lewis, 1st Baron Dinorben. Grand Lodge, as the name implies, is the principal lodge which served the mansion and may have been designed by the same architect. The mansion itself became derelict and was demolished c1975 and Grand Lodge is now the most elegantly designed of the remaining estate buildings.
Mid C19 Tudor-gothic style estate lodge, single storey and built to a cruciform plan with main central block aligned NW-SE, paired wings to SW and wing to rear (NE); gabled porch in angle of main range and SW wing. The lodge has smooth rendered elevations with freestone dressings. Slate gable roofs have shaped gable parapets surmounted by shaped finials and tall dressed stone stacks: single rectangular stack to SW, single octagonal stack to NW and paired octagonal stack to NE; all with capping.
Entrance to the lodge is through a moulded arch with keystone in the NW wall of the porch, to the R of the entrance is the NW end of the main range; 3-window canted bay has small paned sash windows with transoms and moulded parapet, keyed oculus in shaped gable apex above. The paired wings to SW have similar windows with narrow slots in the gables.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a mid C19 estate lodge, a good exercise in Tudor-gothic. Built contemporary with the adjacent mansion at Llys Dulas and may have been designed by the same architect, Benjamin Woodward. The lodge was built at the principal entrance to the estate and reflects the growth and fortunes of the estate for which it was built.
Other nearby listed buildings