This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9212 / 52°55'16"N
Longitude: -3.5148 / 3°30'53"W
OS Eastings: 298251
OS Northings: 337055
OS Grid: SH982370
Mapcode National: GBR 6H.N4NV
Mapcode Global: WH670.ZTFW
Entry Name: Former School Hall including adjoining Garden Wall to SW
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24593
Building Class: Education
Location: Facing the square to the W of Pont Bach in the centre of the village.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Former National School, dated 1828. The building was altered later in the C19 at which point the present windows were inserted and the chimney added. The evidence for earlier openings remains.
Small, rectangular school hall. Of local rubble construction with slate roof and small later C19 brick chimney to the N; slate verges to the N gable, with moulded bargeboards and projecting verges to the S. The main (E-facing) side has 2 large pointed-arched windows with red brick voussoirs and projecting sills; recessed multi-pane wooden casements. The S gable end has a similar window with a pointed-arched entrance to the L; this with recessed boarded door. Above the window is an inset slate plaque inscribed: 'National School 1828'. Blocked openings to the rear elevation and the N gable.
Adjoining the S gable flush with the E elevation is a short stretch of rubble wall. This sweeps around, following the curve of the lane, to enclose a small garden or forecourt. This has a boarded door in a wooden frame immediately adjacent to the hall building, and slopes down from this point to form a wall of approximately 1m height.
Plain interior with canted and boarded wooden ceiling.
Listed as a second-quarter C19 dated village school with later C19 alterations, retaining good original external character.
Group value with other listed items in the village centre.
Other nearby listed buildings