History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cwm Main

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandderfel, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0073 / 53°0'26"N

Longitude: -3.6036 / 3°36'12"W

OS Eastings: 292499

OS Northings: 346760

OS Grid: SH924467

Mapcode National: GBR 6D.GF4B

Mapcode Global: WH66L.MN7W

Entry Name: Cwm Main

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24633

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located at the northern-most boundary of the community, on the eastern side of Cwmtirmynach; accessed via a long track running NW from the B4501 from the A5 to Fron Goch.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Cerrigydrudion

Community: Llandderfel

Community: Llandderfel

Locality: Cwmtirmynach

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Cerrig-y-Druidion

History

Third-quarter C18 farmhouse dated 1766, together with the initials R and M W; the house reuses C17 stopped-chamfered ceiling beams from an earlier dwelling, probably the predecessor of the present farmhouse. In the mid Victorian period R J LL Price of Rhiwlas, esq., remodelled the house (chiefly new windows) and built new agricultural ranges to serve it; of these one is dated 1867.

Exterior

2-storey farmhouse comprising a 4-window main range with a large service wing to the rear. Of local rubble construction with whitened facade; slate roof with rendered end chimneys and further rubble chimney off-centre to the R. The house has a main 3-window section to the L, with a 1-bay brewhouse section to the R; service/dairy wing to the rear. Entrance off-set slightly to the R, with boarded door and rectangular 3-pane overlight; C20 rubble and wood porch, open to the front, with lean-to roof. To the L of the porch, between the ground and first floors, is an inset slate plaque with the incised date 1766 and the initials R M W. Four-pane Victorian sashes throughout with projecting sills and lintels to the taller ground floor windows. The (apparently contemporary) flush, continuously-roofed right-hand section has a boarded door to the R with similar windows to the L on both floors, that to the ground-floor a repaired 6-pane sash.

The rear of the main range has a small original 2-light leaded window to the upper floor on the R; further 4-pane (fixed) window to the ground floor centre. Modern small-pane tilting windows to the L side of the rear wing (N); the S side has an entrance with C20 brick porch and a 4-pane C19 casement to the first floor; 2 modern windows to the ground floor at L and one to the first, also at L. A C20 green-house/conservatory lean-to adjoins the S gable end of the main block.

The main elevation is fronted by a garden with low rubble enclosing walls, which curve around in an arc to the R where they abut the R gable end.

Interior

In the main left-hand room is a beamed ceiling, the stopped-chamfered joists and main beam of which appear to be reused. Victorian stick baluster stair to plain entrance hall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a dated third-quarter C18 farmhouse retaining good vernacular character and interesting also as an example of 'minimal' C19 reworking by an estate.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.