History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to John Owen & William Llwyd at Capel y Berthen

A Grade II Listed Building in Lixwm, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2337 / 53°14'1"N

Longitude: -3.2482 / 3°14'53"W

OS Eastings: 316779

OS Northings: 371464

OS Grid: SJ167714

Mapcode National: GBR 6V.09GR

Mapcode Global: WH76R.2ZHC

Entry Name: Monument to John Owen & William Llwyd at Capel y Berthen

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24661

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: In the centre of the lawn in front of the chapel.

County: Flintshire

Community: Ysceifiog

Community: Ysceifiog

Locality: Lixwm

Built-Up Area: Lixwm

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Caerwys

History

By T. Jones of Berthen, and erected in 1923 to commemorate John Owen (1733-76), the founder of the chapel and pioneer of the Methodist cause in Flintshire, and William Llwyd (1734-1810), one of the founders of Welsh Methodism in Liverpool.

Exterior

A polished granite monolith on a stepped concrete plinth. The rectangular base tapers slightly and has chamfered angles. Above it the monolith is triangular with scallop shells on the base and a moulded cap. The front faces have inscriptions to John Owen and William Llwyd, with inscriptions to members of Owen's family on the base.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine early C20 monument, of interest for commemorating 2 leading figures in the history of Methodism in the region, and for group value with Capel y Berthen.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Capel y Berthen
    At the N end of Lixwm village, set back behind a lawn with boundary railings on the N side of a mino
  • II Llwyn Tew
    An isolated house on the W side of Lixwm village, reached by track and footpath on the W side of the
  • II Bakehouse at Llwyn Tew
    On the E side of the house.
  • II Pantyrodyn Cottage
    On the W side of the main road through the village.
  • II Wayside Cottage
    On the E side of Lixwm village and set back from the road behind a rubble-stone wall.
  • II Pen-ffynnon-y-cyff
    An isolated house at the S end of the village, and reached by private track on the W side of the B51
  • II Gledlom
    Approximately 0.75km SE of Ysceifiog church and reached by farm road S of Ffordd Gledlom between Ysc
  • II Coedybrain
    Approximately 0.7km S of Lixwm reached by farm road SW of the B5121.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.