This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2551 / 53°15'18"N
Longitude: -3.281 / 3°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 314636
OS Northings: 373887
OS Grid: SJ146738
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZJS.GV
Mapcode Global: WH76Q.KFVX
Entry Name: Barn at Gellilyfdy
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24676
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Approximately 100m SE of the farmhouse.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Dated 1586 and built by William Jones, father of the scholar John Jones. Its completion was celebrated by the poet Y Gwisgl Gwyn.
A large barn of coursed rubble stone on boulder footings, and slate roof (part replaced with galvanised sheets). On the E side a central threshing bay has a doorway under a C19 dressed stone lintel and jambs partly renewed in brick. To its R are 2 tiers of 3 narrow vents. To the L of the doorway a similar arrangement of vents is interrupted in the lower tier by an inserted doorway widened from an C19 doorway under brick segmental head, L of which is a metal-framed window with brick surround and wooden lintel, with a single vent surviving at the L end. The N gable end has stepped vents in 4 tiers placed 4:3:2:1, interrupted in the lower tier by an added brick lean-to on the L side leaving only 2 vents visible. The W side facing the house is similar to the E. Its threshing bay has a C19 stone lintel and dressed stone jambs to the L side, and retains double boarded doors. To the L are 2 tiers of 3 vents, while on the R side is an added blockwork lean-to. The S gable end is similar to the N side with its stepped tiers of vents, except the lower tier is now replaced mid C20 by an inserted door to the L and 2 windows, of which the R-hand was originally a doorway.
The roof is 5 bays with queen posts and raking struts. One of the tie beams has a carved date inscription and the initials WJ.
Listed grade II* as an exceptionally early and well-preserved corn barn.
Other nearby listed buildings