This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8676 / 52°52'3"N
Longitude: -3.6749 / 3°40'29"W
OS Eastings: 287350
OS Northings: 331328
OS Grid: SH873313
Mapcode National: GBR 69.RFS4
Mapcode Global: WH67B.J58Y
Entry Name: Werglodd Wen
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24710
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located near the NW boundary of the community, approximately 500m SE of Caer Gai Roman camp and 1km N of Llanuwchllyn village; accessed from the main road via a lane running N.
Locality: Caer Gai
Traditional County: Merionethshire
C18 vernacular storeyed farmhouse with mid C19 additional wing adjoining at right-angles to form an L-plan. The house was the home of the controversial non-conformist minister Michael Jones (1787-1853), whilst minister at the Hen Gapel, to which he was ordained in 1814. During his ministry at Llanuwchllyn he inspired a notorious rift in the Calvinistic-methodist church, known as the 'Controversy of the Systems.' As a result of this schism he and his followers left the Hen Gapel and worshipped at his home, Werglodd Wen, for around a decade before reconciliation finally took place in 1839. In 1841 Jones established what was later to become the Bala Independent College at Werglodd Wen, where he had also founded a church school. It is possible that the mid C19 additional wing served as the original premises for the school and college.
Two-storey vernacular farmhouse with mid C19 additional wing adjoining at right-angles to form an L-plan. Of local slatestone construction with whitened principal elevations and boulder foundations to the primary block; pitched slate roof. End chimneys to the primary section, that to the R rendered, that to the L rebuilt in late C19 yellow stock brick; central chimney to the later wing, of engineering brick. The 3-window main elevation of the primary block is near-symmetrical and has a central entrance with boarded door. To the L of the entrance is a second-half C19 metal-framed cross-window with 4-pane casement sections; the remaining windows are later C19 4-pane casements; rough-dressed slate lintels and projecting slate sills. The additional wing has an early C20 part-glazed door to the centre with two small C20 4-pane windows under the eaves (in C19 openings). The wing's advanced gable end has a 9-pane C19 horned sash to the ground floor L and a blind window to the R, painted in imitation of a small-pane cross-window.
The rear elevation of the main section has two such cross-windows to the first floor (real, not blind), and a 4-pane casement to the ground-floor, within an area of rebuilt masonry; lean-to dairy block to the L. A further, similar window lights the first floor of the additional wing's rear gable. Adjoining the main section at the front is a single-storey, steeply-pitched storage range, the right-hand gable end of which has been removed, effectively reducing this block's length. This has a rough pegged collar truss and a deeply-recessed entrance with boarded door to the R, giving access to the main block. Advanced and adjoining to the R is an outshut with old, heavy slate roof.
Entrance into hall with small study off to the R and stair and pantry passage beyond. The hall has a C19 quarry-tiled red/yellow floor and a beamed ceiling; roughly-chamfered main beam and plain longitudinal joists. Slate-flagged floors to the passage and pantry, the latter with slate shelves and boarded door in a stopped-chamfered doorcase. Enclosed, straight-flight C19 stair; rough-studded partition walls. The additional wing is accessed from the hall and has its own entrance hall with polychromed tiled floor (yellow, green, white, black). Two 6-panel doors lead off to ground-floor rooms; these have simple slate fireplaces. Leading off from the hall to the L is a dogleg stair with stick balusters and octagonal newels.
Listed for its special interest as an C18 farmhouse with mid C19 additional wing, retaining good original character; the home of Michael Jones (1787-1853), founder of the Bala (later Bangor) Theological College.
Other nearby listed buildings