Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
A Grade II Listed Building in Raglan, Monmouthshire
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7667 / 51°46'0"N
Longitude: -2.7942 / 2°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 345286
OS Northings: 207860
OS Grid: SO452078
Mapcode National: GBR FG.ZZFK
Mapcode Global: VH79J.JV4H
Entry Name: Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24720
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Sited in the churchyard of St Martin's church, Pen-y-clawdd to the east of the path to the church and some 5m south of the porch.
Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Churchyard cross of 1885 on medieval base.
Stone churchyard cross. Medieval base of three relatively small steps, the top 2 a single monolith, the bottom step probably rebuilt in C19. Small square medieval plinth stone, square with chamfered top. Cross is of Forest of Dean stone, square at foot, then octagonal with moulded capital under 8-sided pedestal to a carved gabled Crucifix. Pedestal has IHC shield and crown to front, 1885 date to rear.
Reasons for Listing
Included as an attractive C19 churchyard cross on medieval base.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Martin
Prominently sited on an earthwork which forms the churchyard at the intersection of two roads at Pen-y-clawdd.
Archway at Pen-y-clawdd House
Prominently sited on the edge of the road and some 0.25 km from the crossroads at St Martin's church, Pen-y-clawdd.
Situated on S side of lane running E from junction some 250m S of Pen-y-clawdd church, some 200m down lane.
Barn at Pen-y-clawdd House
Prominently sited with its gable end to the road. At right-angles to, and outside the curtilage wall of Pen-y-clawdd House.
About 1.8km SSW of the church of St Dingat, on the E side of a farmtrack running off the old road between Mitchel troy and Raglan where it bends under the A40(T).
Old Trecastle Farmhouse
Approached by a drive of some 300m, running W from road some 800m S of church at Penyclawdd.
About 1.7km SSW of the church of St Dingat, on the W side of a farmtrack running off the old road between Mitchel troy and Raglan where it bends under the A40(T).
About 1.4km W of the church of St Catwg, in a hollow at the end of a long farm track leading off the N side of a minor road leading W towards Pen-y-clawdd.