This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7453 / 51°44'43"N
Longitude: -2.7882 / 2°47'17"W
OS Eastings: 345678
OS Northings: 205474
OS Grid: SO456054
Mapcode National: GBR JG.19C7
Mapcode Global: VH79Q.MDCD
Entry Name: Cross in St Govan's churchyard
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24722
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited in the elevated churchyard of St Govan's church, to the S side of the church some 10m SE of the porch.
Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The medieval cross base was given a new shaft and sculptured head in 1903 by Mrs. Earnshaw of Court St. Lawrence to commemorate her son Harry Popplewell Earnshaw killed 1896 aged 26 during the attack on Gatyis Kraal, Marandellas, South Africa.
Stone preaching cross. High medieval base of five steps with early C20 weathered inscription carved into the third step recording the restoration in 1903. Square medieval cross-base broached to octagonal, the broaches of a curved keel profile. Early C20 Forest of Dean stone cross with tapering octagonal shaft with broached foot, carved capital and relief sculpture above each side in cinquefoil-cusped frames. Crucifixion on the W face and St Govan, crowned and holding a model of a church, on the E face. Ogee crocketted top.
Inlcuded as a fine early C20 cross on a stepped medieval base, and for group value with the church of St. Govan.
Other nearby listed buildings