History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Robert Vaux monument in St Govan's churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Raglan, Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7455 / 51°44'43"N

Longitude: -2.788 / 2°47'16"W

OS Eastings: 345689

OS Northings: 205496

OS Grid: SO456054

Mapcode National: GBR JG.19D8

Mapcode Global: VH79Q.MDF7

Entry Name: Robert Vaux monument in St Govan's churchyard

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24723

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated some 5m N of the NE corner of the nave of St Govan's church.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Monmouth

Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)

Community: Raglan

Locality: Llangoven

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llanishen

History

Neo-Grec churchyard monument to Robert Vaux of Court St Lawrence, d 1838. Vaux was a Yorkshire man, who, together with fellow Yorkshireman Edward Berry, made a fortune from silk mills in Spitalfields, London. Berry bought estates in Monmouthshire at Court St Lawrence in 1802 and Llancayo c1813. Vaux occupied a wing of Court St. Lawrence before Berry's death in 1818 and bought the house in 1819. A similar but plainer monument adjoining is to Robert Charles Vaux d 1837.

Exterior

Pedestal tomb of c1840 to Robert Vaux family of Court St. Lawrence, Llangovan. Neo-grec style. Stone step with cut-off remnants of iron railing. Square pedestal base with angle piers each with arched panel, flanking inscribed tablets to each face. Flat square capstone with large squat obelisk above, the base with triangular pediment each side flanked by acroterial ornaments. Pediments have a laurel wreath, acroteria have anthemion ornament. Obelisk has Vaux arms to N front.
Base has traces of colourwashes, pink and yellow around inscribed plaques. N inscription: In memory of Robert Vaux, Esq., of Court St. Lawrence in this parish, and of West Green, Tottenham, Middlesex, who departed this life the 7th of June, 1838, aged 70 years. W side: Also Georgina Louisa his daughter, and wife of the Rev. James Farquhar, born June 4th, 1812, died April 26th, 1897. Interred at Llanthewy Skirrid. E side: Also his three other daughters, Emma Vaux died 23rd Sept. 1876, Hannah Matilda Botcherly died 3rd August, 1865, Lavinia Soper died 12th Feb. 1874. Interred in Highgate Cemetery, London. S side: In memory of Robt Chas Vaux, Esq., son of Robt Vaux, Esq., of Court St. Lawrence in this parish, who departed this life 29th Augt 1837, aged 38.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its architectural and historic interest as a fine earlier C19 obelisk memorial of a notable family.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Govan
    Situated in isolated site above Church Farm, about 2.5 km s of Penyclawdd church on minor lane to Ll
  • II Cross in St Govan's churchyard
    Prominently sited in the elevated churchyard of St Govan's church, to the S side of the church some
  • II Church Farmhouse
    Situated at right angles to the road through Llangoven and on the opposite side of the road from the
  • II Outbuilding to S of Church Farmhouse
    Situated alongside the road through Llangoven, S of Church Farmhouse and E of the parish church.
  • II Stable at Court St Lawrence
    Approached by a private drive of 0.5km entered from near the turning to Llangoven from the Pen-y-cla
  • II Court St Lawrence
    Approached by a private drive of 0.5 km entered from near the turning to Llangoven off the Pen-y-cla
  • II* Tregeiriog Farmhouse
    Situated on a sloping site beside the by-road, approx. 2km north west of Llanishen and 1.5km south o
  • II* Old Trecastle Farmhouse
    Approached by a drive of some 300m, running W from road some 800m S of church at Penyclawdd.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.