This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7475 / 51°44'50"N
Longitude: -2.7963 / 2°47'46"W
OS Eastings: 345124
OS Northings: 205720
OS Grid: SO451057
Mapcode National: GBR JG.11BG
Mapcode Global: VH79Q.HB2Q
Entry Name: Stable at Court St Lawrence
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24724
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approached by a private drive of 0.5km entered from near the turning to Llangoven from the Pen-y-clawdd road. the stable block is located adjacent to the drive and opposite the entrance to the courtya
Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early C19 stable block to Court St Lawrence, probably part of the general rebuilding for Edward Berry, wealthy Spitalfields silk-manufacturer, originally from Yorkshire, owner 1802-18, or possibly for Berry's former business partner, Robert Vaux, who bought the estate in 1819.
Stable block. Squared coursed purple rubble stone with slate roofs and flat overhanging eaves. Lofted 3-bay stable flanked by single-storey single-bay pavilion wings, originally coach-houses. Main range is gable-ended with open lunettes in each gable. W front has 3 tall arched recesses, within which are set ground floor openings, all 3 arch headed, a window each side of door, all with plain 2-light fanlights. Added lean-to to rear. Coach-house wings have low-pitched hipped roofs and were open-fronted, or with doors, now infilled with C20 boarding and oepnings. Side walls also of squared rubble have triple blind arcade. Arch heads have voussoirs of cut purple sandstone.
Interior not available at time of inspection (December 1999). Said to contain grooms sleeping quarters to loft.
Included as a formally-planned early C19 stable building of group value with Court St. Lawrence.
Other nearby listed buildings