History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross in St John's churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Raglan, Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7309 / 51°43'51"N

Longitude: -2.8481 / 2°50'53"W

OS Eastings: 341521

OS Northings: 203914

OS Grid: SO415039

Mapcode National: GBR JD.209M

Mapcode Global: VH79P.LR5G

Entry Name: Cross in St John's churchyard

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24738

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The Cross is situated in Llandenny churchyard some 3m SE of the church porch.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Usk

Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)

Community: Raglan

Locality: Llandenny

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llandenny

History

Medieval base to churchyard cross, possibly C15, with cross of 1884 restored as a memorial to the 2nd Lord Raglan, d 1884.

Exterior

Churchyard cross. Three stone steps with inscription to top step recording that the cross was restored as a memorial to Richard Henry Fitzroy, 2nd Baron Raglan, 1884. Medieval square cross base broached to octagonal. Cross of 1884 has tapering octagonal shaft to round capital under Latin cross with cusps to arms

Reasons for Listing

Included as a churchyard memorial incorporating the base of a medieval churchyard cross, of group value with the church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Church of St John
    Situated in the centre of the village of Llandenny. The church is in an elevated position within an
  • II Lych-gate to the church of St John
    Situated at the entrance to Llandenny churchyard in Llandenny village.
  • II Village Farm
    Situated on S side of road through Llandenny, attached to Church Farm of which this was a former out
  • II Church Farm
    Situated on S side of the road in Llandenny village, the last property on the E towards Llandenny Bo
  • II Barn at Village Farm
    Situated in Llandenny village opposite entry to churchyard, at upper W side of farmyard at the forme
  • II Telephone Call-box
    Situated in village, on S side of road beside gable end of Orchard House.
  • II Barn and cowshed at The Rock Farm
    Situated across S end and E side of farmyard at The Rock.
  • II The Rock Farmhouse
    Situated down drive some 500 m W of Llandenny church, S of minor road to Llandenny Walks. Front cour

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.