This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1836 / 53°11'1"N
Longitude: -3.4172 / 3°25'1"W
OS Eastings: 305390
OS Northings: 366109
OS Grid: SJ053661
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.3JDC
Mapcode Global: WH771.G7ZP
Entry Name: Plas Coch, including railings to forecourt
Listing Date: 19 February 2001
Last Amended: 19 February 2001
Source ID: 24783
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the steep upper section of Park Street, opposite Melling's Lane.
Community: Denbigh (Dinbych)
Built-Up Area: Denbigh
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The building was not inspected internally on resurvey, thus the details of its history remain somewhat unclear. However, the external character of the building suggests an early C19 building date though the asymmetry of the main elevation, and the axial position of the stack in the main range may suggest earlier origins. The building housed the grammar school between 1866 and 1903 (apparently in its NE wing). It is thought that it may also have housed Sankeys Bank, and, c1800, a Roman Catholic chapel.
Large house in 3 principal sections. Lined-out render throughout, slate roofs with gable end and axial stacks. upper range appears to be the earliest: 3-storeyed, asymmetrical 3-window range with door to left: ornate 6-panelled door with overlight in projecting timber porch with cylindrical shafts and elongated entablatures decoratively braced. Ground floor windows are 2-pane leaded sashes; upper windows 8-over-12-pane sashes, all with cambered heads. Attic windows do not align. Lower parallel range to rear.
Below this to the left a further section may be later addition, though again, axially placed stack may be evidence of earlier origins: 2-storeys, 2-window range with central entrance: 6-panelled door with high 6-pane overlight. 4-pane sashes flank the doorway (and an additional window to its right); upper windows in gabled dormers.
To three left again is a slightly advanced gabled range: this has doorway to left in gable facing the street, and wide 16-pane sash windows on each floor; stone copings to gable. Long return elevation with small-pane sash windows, and what appear to be the remains of 2 lateral chimneys.
The two upper sections have small forecourt enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings which appear to be contemporary with other external detail.
Listed as a substantial town-house of largely unaltered mid C19 external character.
Other nearby listed buildings