This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.348 / 53°20'52"N
Longitude: -4.5256 / 4°31'32"W
OS Eastings: 231978
OS Northings: 386434
OS Grid: SH319864
Mapcode National: GBR HM6V.FQJ
Mapcode Global: WH42B.G35N
Entry Name: Black Lion Inn
Listing Date: 16 February 2001
Last Amended: 28 September 2001
Source ID: 24794
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Set alongside the E side of the A5025, at a right angle bend on the approach to the village of Llanfaethlu; c1km SE of the Church of St Maethlu.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Part of late C18 or early C19 linear range, including a Public House to the L (N) end; later alterations and additions. The 1841 census returns for the parish lists Elinor Jones as the publican, her husband William is recorded as being a joiner; also listed are Owen Lewis, shoemaker, and his family, and William Thomas, also a shoesmith.
Public House is a long 3 window range (perhaps originally a 2-unit house and cottage); doorway in porch between 2 left hand windows, 2 closely spaced windows in right hand bay. Windows are C20 casements, probably replacing earlier sashes; with shaped, eared and shouldered architraves, first floor windows set directly under the eaves.
Listed as a traditional inn, retaining good C19 vernacular character notwithstanding alteration to detail. Part of a good terraced row.
Other nearby listed buildings