This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3502 / 53°21'0"N
Longitude: -4.5413 / 4°32'28"W
OS Eastings: 230945
OS Northings: 386707
OS Grid: SH309867
Mapcode National: GBR HM5V.6L8
Mapcode Global: WH42B.62R0
Entry Name: Dafarn-newydd including outbuilding range to N
Listing Date: 16 February 2001
Last Amended: 16 February 2001
Source ID: 24798
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the NW side of the country road between Llanfwrog and Llanfaethlu; c500m SW of the Church of St Maethlu.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
C18 farmhouse and attached cowhouse with C19 alterations and additions. Listed in the tithe schedule of 1840 as belonging to Lord Stanley of Alderley.
A 2-storey farmhouse with full height wing set at right angles to rear and single storey additions to L (S) end; single storey agricultural range (cowhouse) at N end. Built of local rubble masonry, front wall and added wings with rendered elevations; roof of small old slates, grouted, with stone copings and rendered gable stacks with capping, that to S square and squat. The principal elevation faces a walled garden to front (E), a 2-window range, doorway between, with openings offset to R (N). The door is panelled and set within a narrow timber porch, windows are 4-pane sashes with stone sills, the first floor windows set directly under the eaves. The rear wall of the house is unrendered and ground floor window has cambered rubblestone head with dripcourse.
The agricultural range is of similar construction, with rubblestone heads to doorways. To the front (E) there are 2 doorways offset to the R (N); to the rear a single doorway to the R (S) and a cut and blocked window to the R (S) end.
Listed as a well-preserved C18 vernacular farmhouse range, with C19 remodelling still within vernacular tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings