This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5942 / 51°35'39"N
Longitude: -3.3256 / 3°19'32"W
OS Eastings: 308272
OS Northings: 189209
OS Grid: ST082892
Mapcode National: GBR HR.BS7S
Mapcode Global: VH6DR.96R6
Entry Name: Libanus Welsh Baptist Church
Listing Date: 26 February 2001
Last Amended: 26 February 2001
Source ID: 24877
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Approximately 100m SW of St Dyfrig's RC Church.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Pontypridd
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Libanus was founded in 1841 as a Welsh Baptist Church, and the present chapel was built in 1846. Baptism was initially performed in the River Taff. The interior was completely refurbished in 1894, superintended by Dr T Roberts, at a cost of £600.
A simple classical style facade in scribed roughcast. Concealed by a high parapet is a hipped roof of synthetic slates replacing original slates. The front has thin angle pilaster strips and a moulded parapet, and openings in moulded architraves. A central doorway has double fielded-panel doors, and a dated tablet in the architrave. The doorway is flanked by 2 tiers of windows all replaced in original round-headed openings. The R side is attached to 6 Fothergill Street. The 2-window L side wall has windows replaced in original openings. An added low single-storey gabled projection to the rear has an altered L side facing the graveyard. The opposite wall is faced in brick and has 3 margin-lit sash windows in segmental heads.
The vestibule has a plain glass panel opposite the main door and is flanked by half-lit doors to the main chapel and gallery stairs. The main chapel has a 3-sided raked gallery with cast iron columns and a rich classical front incorporating festoons in relief. The walls have plaster panels. The ceiling is now concealed above a later temporary ceiling. Behind the pulpit is a doorway within an ornate architrave crowned by a pediment and framed by guilloche mouldings in relief. Sliding half-lit doors have diaper work in relief below the glazing. Above the doors is a large stepped panel with diaper enrichment similar to the doors and an inscription band reading 'Gerwch Eigh Gilydd'. The sliding doors open to the vestry behind and were intended to allow choirs to perform in the chapel.
The panelled pulpit is dated 1938. Plain pews have moulded ends. The vestry has a boarded ceiling above collar beams.
Listed primarily for the architectural interest of its late C19 interior.
Other nearby listed buildings