This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7852 / 51°47'6"N
Longitude: -2.6739 / 2°40'25"W
OS Eastings: 353611
OS Northings: 209828
OS Grid: SO536098
Mapcode National: GBR FM.YRCS
Mapcode Global: VH871.LDSB
Entry Name: Redbrook Railway Bridge
Listing Date: 28 February 2001
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 24926
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the eastern boundary of Trellech Community crossing the river to Redbrook on the boundary of Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This bridge was built in 1876 by the Monmouth and Wye Valley Railway and was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1908. The engineers of the line were S H Yockney and Son of Westminster and the contractors were Messrs Reed Bros of London. It was a single track line with passing places. The line was closed in 1964 and is now partly a footpath belonging to Monmouthshire County Council; the bridge has been kept because the footbridge, which was added to the railway bridge in 1955, carries the Wye Valley Walk across the river.
This bridge is constructed of wrought and cast iron and has a steel and concrete footbridge attached to the upstream side. It has five spans of wrought iron girders with the single track line running within the girders. The bridge is quite sharply curved and the spans are each a separate girder and these are carried on paired cast iron tubular piers with cross-bracing between. These piers are set at right angles to the current with the spans sharply skewed. The footbridge is attached with steel brackets to the upstream side. The eastern end of the bridge is in Redbrook CP, Gloucestershire.
Included as an unusually interesting survival of an all metal railway bridge dating from 1876 in an exceptional location.
Other nearby listed buildings