This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7616 / 51°45'41"N
Longitude: -2.7028 / 2°42'10"W
OS Eastings: 351589
OS Northings: 207219
OS Grid: SO515072
Mapcode National: GBR JL.06TC
Mapcode Global: VH871.3ZGG
Entry Name: Fernside Mill
Listing Date: 28 February 2001
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 24948
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the north side of the Whitebrook valley road and about 2000m west of the Church of the Holy Trinity.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This is the only complete paper mill surviving in the Whitebrook valley and very possibly the only one left in Wales. It is not known when it was built, but it appears early C19 in architectural character and it was certainly in existence in 1842. All the paper mills in the valley seem to have gone out of production soon after the Wye Valley Railway opened in 1876. Water power was by then no longer needed and the railways meant that the necessary rags could easily be collected to the central industrial areas, and this also coincided with the great increase in the use of wood fibre in paper making which required large premises and mechanical production.
A three storey mill building built backing onto the mill dam so that the the top floor is level with and has direct access to the road through the gable end and the other two floors are below the water level in the mill pond giving a 5m head. The building is constructed of coursed squared rock faced local sandstone rubble with a late C20 concrete pantile roof. The mill is gable end onto the road and has an elliptically headed boaded door and Victorian wall post box beside it. The gable end overhangs. The elevation onto the millpond (west) is single storey and is timber framed with vertical louvres, these are to ventilate the paper drying floor. The down stream (east) elevation is three storeys and has two doors and three windows on the ground floor and five windows on the first floor, all have elliptical heads, the windows are 3-light timber casements. The upper floor had vertical louvres in 1975 but these have now been replaced by horizontal boarding. The far gable was not seen at resurvey but had windows to the ground and top floor in 1975.
The interior was not available for inspection at resurvey. The presumed arrangement is drying floor at the top, paper making floor in the middle and rag floor at the bottom where the Hollander rag beating machine and the water wheel would have been.
Included as a very rare survivor of a complete paper mill, now possibly unique in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings