This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7729 / 51°46'22"N
Longitude: -2.6928 / 2°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 352294
OS Northings: 208473
OS Grid: SO522084
Mapcode National: GBR FM.ZDPH
Mapcode Global: VH871.8PSR
Entry Name: Garden House at The Argoed
Listing Date: 28 February 2001
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 24949
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set on the garden wall on the north side of the lawn about 50m north east of The Argoed.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Locality: Penallt (Pentwyn)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Argoed was built in the late C16 and remodelled in the early C17 by the Probert family. It was greatly enlarged after 1865 by Richard Potter, retired Chairman of The Great Western Railway, and much of the character of both the house and the stable block are due to him. He was responsible for restoring and improving the fine gardens and grounds, and will have built this garden house as a part of these improvements. It evidently reuses architectural detail from the C16/C17 house as the stable block does.
The building is constructed of squared red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and a roof with stone slates on the lower courses and pantiles above. It is of two storeys built into and on the garden wall. The ground floor has an arched alcove supporting the steps to the house above. This is square in plan and has a plain doorway with dressed jambs which rises to the eaves. Plain 2-light mullioned window on left gable wall with a carved apron, this appears to reuse at least some c1600 stonework. Plain gabled roof with base of cross on gable. Rear elevation not seen.
Interior not available for inspection at resurvey.
Included as a garden building in the important Victorian landscape at The Argoed and having group value with the house.
Other nearby listed buildings