This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8095 / 51°48'34"N
Longitude: -4.4959 / 4°29'45"W
OS Eastings: 228033
OS Northings: 215261
OS Grid: SN280152
Mapcode National: GBR D6.X3HB
Mapcode Global: VH3LL.1S17
Entry Name: Pont Sancler (partly listed in St Clears community)
Listing Date: 9 March 2001
Last Amended: 9 March 2001
Source ID: 24959
Building Class: Transport
Location: At the end of Bridge Street, across the River Taf, on the community boundary with St Clears.
Locality: St Clears
Built-Up Area: St Clears
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Road bridge over the Afon Taf, built on the site of an earlier road bridge in 1827-8, by William Morgan for £500. C20 repairs to parapet wall and ties inserted for structural reinforcement, the ties not visible in a photograph of c.1900.
Road bridge, single arch span with each spandrel pierced by a circular opening. Both main arch and circles have fine cut stone voussoirs. Projecting sill at carriageway level to both sides below renewed rubble stone parapet with limestone coping. Square piers to bridge head terminals with ridged grey limestone capstones. Rubble stone abutments each side, those on N continued as stone walls each side of roadway, roadway and embankment removed on S. Bridge is reinforced with late C20 metal ties.
Included as a broad-span single arch bridge with distinctive spandrel holes in the manner of the pioneering design by William Edwards at Pontypridd in the C18.
Other nearby listed buildings