This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.791 / 51°47'27"N
Longitude: -4.5044 / 4°30'15"W
OS Eastings: 227377
OS Northings: 213224
OS Grid: SN273132
Mapcode National: GBR D6.Y7CX
Mapcode Global: VH2P9.W72W
Entry Name: Bwlchnewydd Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 9 March 2001
Last Amended: 9 March 2001
Source ID: 24961
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on a minor road some 2 km SE of the centre of the village of Llanddowror.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Baptist chapel of 1831 altered in earlier C20 when windows were renewed and porch possibly rebuilt. The pulpit was probably added in the later C19.
Chapel, unpainted roughcast with stucco channelled angle piers and slate half-hipped roof. Gable facade with added centre porch and 2 small upper arched windows with C20 glazing and tile sills. Similar glazing to fanlight over board door in right side wall of porch. Porch front has blank arched window and date plaque over: 'Bwlchnewydd Baptist Chapel Built 1802 Rebuilt 1831'. Within porch original double panelled door and fanlight with marginal glazing. Side walls each have one long central window with flat head and earlier C20 glazing, left side is whitewashed rubble stone and also has door to right with stone voussoirs. Rear wall is also whitewashed rubble with 2 large arched windows with similar earlier C20 glazing.
Attached single storey roughcast vestry to E side with imitation slate roof and plastic window replacing 12-pane sash. Door to right and C20 right end stack. Whitewashed rubble rear wall with 2 x 12-pane sashes.
Plastered interior with 3-sided roof, the main part C20 plasterboard, the sloping sides later C19 boarding.
Single gallery on entrance end, on 4 plain posts. Gallery front has plain frieze and cornice over posts and then 3 long horizontal panels separated by 4 pilasters with square blocks above and below. Panels have inset rectangular panels with rebated corners and square knot within these corners. Centre panel also has centre vertical rectangle interrupting long inset panel. Thin moulded top rail.
Painted grained panelled box pews in 3 blocks with roll-mould tops. Three-sided great seat matching, the angles rebated with doors, and 2 inward-facing box-pews each side.
Painted grained pulpit platform with winding steps each side, boarded base, turned balusters with turned newels and ball finials each side of slightly projected solid pulpit front with plain broad pointed panel and bookrest on metal brackets. Small timber aedicule behind with part-fluted pilasters, open pediment and flaming urn above.
Lobby is 3-sided with margin-glazed window to centre, coloured glass margins, and 4-panel doors in each canted side. Gallery steps to one side only, the lower flight removed. Gallery has raked similar pews.
Included as a chapel of 1831 with surviving box-pews and gallery in simple painted grained woodwork.
Other nearby listed buildings