This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0488 / 53°2'55"N
Longitude: -3.3138 / 3°18'49"W
OS Eastings: 312023
OS Northings: 350975
OS Grid: SJ120509
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.CZFX
Mapcode Global: WH77P.2M8L
Entry Name: Seion Wesleyan Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall with railings
Listing Date: 21 March 2001
Last Amended: 21 March 2001
Source ID: 24991
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: 1 km west-north-west of Llanelidan Church.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The earlier chapel was built at Bryn Banadl (near Llanelidan village) in 1804, but the present building was constructed in 1852. A small vestry was later added at the north side.
The building incorporates a contemporary cottage at the south side, to which a second cottage was added prior to 1874 (the cottages are separately listed).
A small chapel built in local limestone, with a slate roof and tile ridge; the stonework of the front elevation is axe-dressed but uncoursed, that to the sides and rear is rubble. The roof verge at front is restored with plain bargeboards. Symmetrical front with twin entrances flanking two round-arched sash windows, all the openings chamfered. Restored boarded doors with fanlights above. Above the windows, centrally, is a small stone recording the dates of this and the first chapel.
The rear gable has two windows, and the left side has one window, with restored frames. Small blocked high level ventilator in the rear gable at high level.
At front a small forecourt is enclosed by a low wall of large stones, capped by iron railings. Small vestry added at left, with modern roof sheeting, door and window.
Twin-entrance interior with a lobby at each; pine pews with pulpit probably contemporary; boarded dado. Wall recess behind pulpit with pilasters worked in the plaster. Ceiling in nine panels with a boarded lozenge and a decorative plaster feature centrally.
A good rural chapel of modest design, which has fully retained its mid-C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings