This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8274 / 51°49'38"N
Longitude: -2.7904 / 2°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 345627
OS Northings: 214601
OS Grid: SO456146
Mapcode National: GBR FH.W0GL
Mapcode Global: VH79B.LB6H
Entry Name: Horse trough with flanking walls opposite N drive to The Hendre
Listing Date: 19 March 2001
Last Amended: 19 March 2001
Source ID: 25023
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: Set back slightly from the roadside opposite the main entrance to The Hendre.
Community: Llangattock-Vibon-Avel (Llangatwg Feibion Afel)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Designed by Aston Webb; dated 1894.
A horse trough in a walled bay including a carved reredos dated 1894. Dressed sandstone trough and reredos, with back and side walls of snecked squared rubble. The trough itself is approximately 1m wide and ½m from front to back, with a shallow pedestal and convex moulding below a squared rim, and is set against the centre of a rectangular bay approximately 4m wide and ½m deep, the enclosing wall approximately 1m high. Dressed flat coping to this is interrupted in the centre by a finely-wrought classical-style shaped reredos which has a basket-arched panel inscribed "PURE LIFE / PURE WATER" and is decorated with incised foliation. The consoles to the foot of the reredos are inscribed in large digits "18" (to the L) and "94" (to the R). Set in the wall above the right-hand end of the trough is a copper spout. At each end of the structure a lower wall runs out parallel with the road for a short distance.
Included as a well-detailed, estate-built horse trough, one of a group of late-C19 structures erected by the Rolls family of The Hendre close to the main entrance to its grounds; and for group value with Box Bush Lodge opposite (q.v.) and Post Office and Forge Cottage to the E (q.v.).
Other nearby listed buildings