This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8275 / 51°49'38"N
Longitude: -2.7835 / 2°47'0"W
OS Eastings: 346102
OS Northings: 214610
OS Grid: SO461146
Mapcode National: GBR FH.W25S
Mapcode Global: VH79B.PBVD
Entry Name: North Lodge
Listing Date: 19 March 2001
Last Amended: 19 March 2001
Source ID: 25025
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Built in the acute angle formed by the junction of the NE drive to The Hendre with the B4233.
Community: Llangattock-Vibon-Avel (Llangatwg Feibion Afel)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Designed by Aston Webb c.1896 in Scottish baronial style at the wish of the wife of John Allan Rolls, Georgiana daughter of Sir Charles Maclean of Morvaren, Scotland.
A former gate lodge to The Hendre, probably originally matching Monmouth Lodge, Rockfield (which is dated 1896, q.v.); subsequently altered (perhaps with additions). Walls of random rubble, the side and rear rendered; roofs of red tiles with gable parapets and fleur-de-lis ridge tiles. Irregular plan with a short main range parallel to the road (but not facing it), a rear wing set back at right-angles to the W end of this, and a porch-tower in the S angle thus formed and a short wing on the S side of that. One-and-a-half and 2 storeys in a free Scottish Baronial style. The striking composition, especially as it would have been seen by visitors arriving from the Monmouth direction as their carriages forked off the public road. This consists of the E gable-end of the main range with the porch-tower set back on its S side. The gable wall has an unusual single-storey semi-circular "turret" at ground floor level, with a steep semi-conical tiled roof and a chamfered 1-light window in each of its 3 cardinal sides; a pair of narrow chamfered 1-light attic windows flanking the apex; and a steep crow-stepped parapet with a ball finial on the apex. The set-back porch-tower to the left, which is 2-storeyed, has steps up to a round-headed arch containing a square-headed doorway (with altered door), a dripband to the upper floor stepped over a small chamfered 1-light window, a coped parapet and a short fishscale-tiled pyramidal spire surmounted by a tall weather vane finial. Attached to the L side is a short single-storey wing which is rendered and painted white. The side to the road is rendered and blind except for one window in each part.
The interior was not inspected.at the time of re-survey.
Listed as a picturesquely composed and detailed lodge, part of an important series of buildings built by the Hendre estate.
Other nearby listed buildings