This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3396 / 53°20'22"N
Longitude: -3.3469 / 3°20'48"W
OS Eastings: 310413
OS Northings: 383363
OS Grid: SJ104833
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y2T.6L
Mapcode Global: WH769.KBF5
Entry Name: Fountain and associated rockwork at Talacre Abbey
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25104
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the W side of the house.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Talacre Abbey was built 1824-9 by Thomas Jones, architect, for Sir Edward Mostyn, on the site of an earlier house. The fountain was added in the third quarter of the C19 and is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey. The rockwork behind was probably added in the final quarter of the C19, and is similar in its construction to 2 surviving garden seats and the grotto SE of the house.
A freestone octagonal fountain standing in the centre of an octagonal pond bounded by a moulded stone kerb with saddleback coping. The fountain has a moulded base and corbelled bowl, from the centre of which the fountain head rises. The fountain head has elongated diamond panels in relief and a moulded cap.
Behind is rockwork of rubble stone and render incorporating many niches for plants.
Listed as an integral component of the gardens at Talacre Abbey and for its contribution to the setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings