This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3235 / 53°19'24"N
Longitude: -3.3365 / 3°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 311074
OS Northings: 381568
OS Grid: SJ110815
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z40.GB
Mapcode Global: WH769.QQCG
Entry Name: Cart House at Gyrn Castle
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25107
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the NW end of the service yard at the rear of Gyrn Castle.
Locality: Gyrn Castle
Traditional County: Flintshire
The present Gyrn Castle was built for John Douglas, a Holywell cotton manufacturer, in the period 1817-24, and was an enlargement of an earlier house. The house was subsequently bought by Sir Edward Bates, a Liverpool merchant and ship owner. The cart house was built in the third quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey. It is possibly by the Liverpool architects Culshaw & Sumners, who received other estate commissions at Gyrn.
A cart house of coursed rubble stone, with tooled stone dressings, and slate roof. Two openings for carts have 4-centred arches, above which are shuttered loft openings beneath the eaves. The R gable end has a fixed loft light in a wood frame, below which is a corrugated iron canopy attached to a later stable range detached at right angles. The rear is continuous with a rubble stone wall and has 2 small lintelled openings.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 cart shed and an integral component of the well-preserved service buildings at Gyrn Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings