This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3236 / 53°19'24"N
Longitude: -3.3355 / 3°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 311145
OS Northings: 381569
OS Grid: SJ111815
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z40.P9
Mapcode Global: WH769.QQWG
Entry Name: Gateway and wall to N side of service yard at Gyrn Castle
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25110
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the NW side of the house.
Locality: Gyrn Castle
Traditional County: Flintshire
The present Gyrn Castle was built for John Douglas, a Holywell cotton manufacturer, in the period 1817-24, and was an enlargement of an earlier house. The house was subsequently bought by Sir Edward Bates, a Liverpool merchant and ship owner. The boundary wall may be contemporary with the 1817-24 house, but the gateway is clearly later, and was probably built in the third quarter of the C19. It is first shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1871.
A castellated rubble stone wall in 2 facets, from the NW corner of the house to the E side of the main coach house and stable block. A central gateway has been inserted at an angle to the flanking walls, and has a 4-centred arch, the jambs having mainly rock-faced coursed stone. On its E side, at a lower level, is a 2-centred arch at the lower-storey level of the house.
Listed as an integral component of the well-preserved service buildings at Gyrn Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings