This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3255 / 53°19'31"N
Longitude: -3.3349 / 3°20'5"W
OS Eastings: 311187
OS Northings: 381789
OS Grid: SJ111817
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y4Z.TL
Mapcode Global: WH769.RN4X
Entry Name: Gateway and gates at N entrance to Gyrn Castle
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25112
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the N entrance to Gyrn Castle, 250m N of the house and on the S side of a minor road between Glanyrafon and Llanasa.
Locality: Gyrn Castle
Traditional County: Flintshire
Gyrn Castle was rebuilt by John Douglas in 1817-24 and was subsequently purchased by Sir Edward Bates, a Liverpool merchant and ship owner. The gateway is contemporary with North Lodge, which was built for Sir Edward Bates by Culshaw & Sumners, architects of Liverpool, in 1868.
A castellated gateway with flanking walls and turret, of cyclopean rubble stone. The main gateway has a wide pointed segmental arch with 3 orders of chamfer. Double wrought iron gates have round panels and twisted rails to the dog bars. The main railings have trident finials. A round turret on the L side provides an asymmetrical accent. To front and rear it has projecting segmental-headed doorways under a gablet with stepped apex and relief panel. The pedestrian gate is similar to the main gates. Lower castellated flanking walls curve outwards to the road. On the R side of the main gateway, behind the flanking wall, is a segmental arch attached to North Lodge.
Listed as a well-designed C19 gateway forming a strong composition with North Lodge, and for group value with other associated listed items at Gyrn Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings