This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3376 / 53°20'15"N
Longitude: -3.3481 / 3°20'53"W
OS Eastings: 310332
OS Northings: 383150
OS Grid: SJ103831
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y1V.Y8
Mapcode Global: WH769.JCWN
Entry Name: Gate piers S of St Benedict's Lodge
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25129
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the S side of St Benedict's Lodge and the E side of the main drive to Talacre Abbey from Gronant.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Talacre Abbey was built 1824-9 by Thomas Jones, architect, for Sir Edward Mostyn, on the site of an earlier house. Jones also designed a number of estate buildings, including the adjacent St Benedict'sLodge, which is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. The gate piers are contemporary with the lodge and stand at the N end of a former drive across the S end of the park at Talacre Abbey. (The corresponding gate piers and lodge at the SE end of the park are ruinous.)
Two monolithic octagonal gate piers of pecked stone, with bell-shaped caps. The gate is replaced. On the S side is a later kissing gate.
Listed as the best preserved of several surviving gateways associated with Talacre Abbey, for group value with St Benedict's Lodge and as an integral component of the landscape park at Talacre Abbey.
Other nearby listed buildings