This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3184 / 53°19'6"N
Longitude: -3.3324 / 3°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 311340
OS Northings: 380988
OS Grid: SJ113809
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z52.B5
Mapcode Global: WH769.SVCF
Entry Name: Maesgwyn
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25135
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 0.8km SE of Llanasa village, reached by private road W of a minor road between Berthengam and Glanyrafon.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Probably built as a 2-unit house in the second half of the C17 and earlier than the barn opposite the house, which is dated 1691. The original mullioned windows were subsequently mainly replaced, probably in the C18, by windows under wooden lintels whose shape suggests they were vertical sliding sashes. An additional unit was added at the upper end in the C19 and a lower rear wing was added at the downhill gable end soon afterwards and is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey house on a sloping site with integral rear stair turret, of rubble stone and steep slate roof. A massive stepped external brick stack is at the downhill gable end (partly obscured by a C19 wing), and there are stone ridge stacks centre-L and at the L end. The original C17 house has a doorway L of centre in an added lean-to porch with a replaced boarded door. The windows have wooden lintels in the lower storey and have mainly replaced 2-light casements. To the R of the porch are 2 hall windows, with a parlour window to the L. The upper storey has 2 windows and, above the porch, a blocked small window with a C17 dressed stone surround. To the L of the parlour is a vertical joint, then a second parlour added in the C19, with a replaced casement below a tooled stone lintel. The L (uphill) gable end has French doors under a segmental head and windows upper R and L under stone lintels.
The R (downhill) gable end has a lean-to, with inserted window and doorway, against the lower wing, which is set back from the main range. The wing has a replaced upper storey window and brick end stack. The rear of the house is dominated by the lower gabled stair turret, which has a coped gable on moulded kneelers. In the gable end is a 2-light window in the lower level and blocked windows in dressed surrounds above and to the L side wall. On the R side of the turret is an added lean-to, while behind the lower wing at the downhill end is an added conservatory.
Hall and parlour have stop-chamfered beams. The parlour retains a stone-lintelled fireplace. Another stone lintelled fireplace is in the C19 parlour at the upper end. The original stair turret retains a stone winding stair.
Listed as a C17 house retaining early plan form and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings