This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8082 / 51°48'29"N
Longitude: -5.0233 / 5°1'24"W
OS Eastings: 191672
OS Northings: 216495
OS Grid: SM916164
Mapcode National: GBR CH.XBN6
Mapcode Global: VH1RC.WT66
Entry Name: Walls of Friends Burial Ground
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25149
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just S of New Park on the E side of Mount Lane some 900m NE of the centre of Sutton village.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Enclosing walls of Quaker Burial Ground said to have been established in 1661. The ground approached by a path along a beech avenue with earth embankments each side, and the walls surrounded by similar embankments. Within are 2 later C19 headstones, to G Phillips of Dew St (d 1869) and Sarah S Matthias (d 1861). The Quakers were established in Haverfordwest in the C17, George Fox visited in 1657 and the first Yearly Meeting for Wales was held at Redstone in 1682, but persecution led to many emigrating in the 1680s. The Quaker Meeting declined by the early C19 and the meeting house was demolished for the Shire Hall in 1835.
Walls surrounding burial ground, on four sides, partly collapsed on S and E, entrance on E altered with concrete lintel. In the N wall an eroded C17 memorial with skull and bones and inscription: Here ly.. of Willi.. clothier..ye 8th day of Fe 1662...ye...day 1680'.
Included primarily for special historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings