History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleddau Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Camrose, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8335 / 51°50'0"N

Longitude: -4.9899 / 4°59'23"W

OS Eastings: 194095

OS Northings: 219217

OS Grid: SM940192

Mapcode National: GBR CK.VLZ4

Mapcode Global: VH1RD.G5DR

Entry Name: Cleddau Lodge

Listing Date: 30 April 2001

Last Amended: 30 April 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25150

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in own grounds on E side of B4330 some 3.2 km N of Haverfordwest.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Camrose

Community: Camrose

Locality: Cuttybridge

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Camrose

History

Villa or gentry house, early to mid C19, marked on the Camrose Tithe map of 1839 as Cleddy Lodge with 27 acres (10.94 hectares). Said to have been built in 1813 for the Cory Marychurch family of Cardiff as a fishing lodge, possibly the iron-founder Joseph Marychurch of Haverfordwest, but in scale looking more of c1830-40. In 1839 Cleddau Lodge was owned by Thomas Edwardes Tucker and occupied by Edward Thomas Mafey. Owned in 1926 by John Lewis Jenkins.

Exterior

Villa, colourwashed stucco with hipped slate roofs and paired short brackets to eaves, 2 brick ridge stacks, flat eaves. Two-storey, 3-window range of 8-pane sashes. Centre 6-panel door with 4 fielded panels and fanlight in square head surround behind double glass doors with cusped tops to panes. Timber trellis porch with pointed openings, 2 each side of centre arch, and 1 each end, and cornice. W end wall has 8-8-8-pane canted bay window with panelled pilasters and panelled frieze to right and large pointed stair light with Gothic glazing bars to left. Rear wall has added lean-to.
Three-window E front with 12-pane sashes over ground floor 8-pane sash, canted bay to centre and metal French window to right. Central first floor window has been lengthened down to level of top of bay. Bay has panelled pilasters and panelled frieze.
Extensive much modernised two-storey rear wing with hipped NE angle, and red brick ridge stack. Mostly C20 windows. Three-window range of 12-pane sashes to W, Some eaves-breaking dormers with 16-pane windows. Whitewashed rubble stone outbuilding, lofted stable, attached with roof hipped one end, half-hipped other. Door and boarded loft opening in end wall, loft door left of centre over window, door and window on side wall.

Interior

Central hall plan with stair-hall to rear left. Panelled doors and panelled shutters.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an early C19 villa of the type built on the outskirts of British towns in the late Georgian period, usually for the newly wealthy commercial classes.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.