This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7992 / 51°47'56"N
Longitude: -5.0163 / 5°0'58"W
OS Eastings: 192115
OS Northings: 215471
OS Grid: SM921154
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.XSGL
Mapcode Global: VH1RL.01FL
Entry Name: Highmead Lodge
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25152
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just off the N side of the B4341 some 3 km W of the centre of Haverfordwest.
Locality: Portfield Gate
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Villa of the 1820s, marked on the Haverfordwest St Martin Tithe map of 1842. Originally called Barron's Cuckoo and built on the edge of Portfield Common for Jardine, Haverfordwest timber merchant who was bankrupt in 1840, when the estate was sold, including Highmead Farm, and the two became Upper and Lower Highmead. Jardine may have built the house for his mother and lived himself at Highmead. In 1842 the house was both owned and occupied by Bryant Evernefs. There was a Moravian chapel adjoining, ruinous by late C19 and since demolished.
House, painted stucco with hipped concrete tile roofs, and roughcast end wall stacks. Two storeys, 3-window E front to garden and SE rear wing. Front has 12-pane sashes and centre C20 6-panel door with overlight. Raised stucco surround to door possibly marking removed porch. S side has irregular glazing, 12-pane fixed light to first floor right and large 12-pane window to ground floor, both within end wall of front range, then a large arched stair light over a small basement light and then an arched small-paned window to ground floor possibly replacing a door and finally at extreme left a first floor 12-pane sash. End wall window was former door. Rear has added outshuts.
Front range not inspected, rear kitchen modernised.
Included as a small earlier C19 villa, of a type built for the newly enriched commercial class on the outskirts of British towns.
Other nearby listed buildings