This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7602 / 51°45'36"N
Longitude: -3.2888 / 3°17'19"W
OS Eastings: 311144
OS Northings: 207621
OS Grid: SO111076
Mapcode National: GBR HS.09FS
Mapcode Global: VH6CZ.Y05Y
Entry Name: No.8 The Terrace and attached garden wall with gate piers
Listing Date: 5 December 1975
Last Amended: 15 May 2001
Source ID: 25191
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The Terrace runs parallel with Rhymney River along its E bank: this terrace forms the centre of the listed group.
Community: Rhymney (Rhymni)
Built-Up Area: Rhymney
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built early-mid C19 as accommodation for managers/officials of the Rhymney Ironworks. Traditionally the large houses at each end (Nos.1 and 9) were for the Manager of the Company Shop and Chief Colliery Manager; the next two houses of intermediate size were for the Chief Cashier and Assistant General Manager; the central houses were for lower managers, surgeon, police officer and chief fireman. A rise in status meant a move to larger accommodation. End families were traditionally church supporters and centre families chapel goers. The Terrace is called Buchan Terrace on OS Map 1875, referring to Andrew Buchan, manager of Brewery and Company Shop, both situated along this street by the river. Residents objected to the brewery association which led to the change in name. Map shows many houses with rear outshuts and sheds against their rear walls: the house inhabited by a policeman incorporated a small jail. Map also shows tramways running each side of terrace.
Has unpainted render, a 4 window range of replaced small pane windows, doorway with replaced door at centre left. Front wall has exotically-shaped coping stones set on top of original coping.
Interiors reported as all different with many flying freeholds.
Listed, notwithstanding window and other alterations, as specially interesting early-mid C19 housing associated with the Rhymney Iron Company. Group value with other listed houses and items in the range.
Other nearby listed buildings