History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0892 / 53°5'21"N

Longitude: -3.2936 / 3°17'36"W

OS Eastings: 313463

OS Northings: 355451

OS Grid: SJ134554

Mapcode National: GBR 6S.9JF7

Mapcode Global: WH77H.CMW2

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 19 May 2001

Last Amended: 19 May 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25203

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: At the south side of St Cynfarch and St Mary's churchyard, close to the lychgate.

County: Denbighshire

Town: Ruthin

Community: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd

Community: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfair-Dyffryn-Clwyd

History

The Church House, otherwise known as the Vestry House, was built in 1831. It appears to be marked on the 1874 map as an almshouse. It was presented to the parish in memory of John and Henrietta Clarke of Eyarth Hall in 1937.

Exterior

A two-storey symmetrical house in local axe-dressed coursed limestone masonry with larger stones as quoins. The roof is of slate with a tile ridge, deep eaves and diagonally set end-chimney stacks in red brickwork.

The face to the churchyard has two hornless 12-pane sash windows above and two modern casement windows below. Tall central doorway with fanlight and flight of steps. Above the doorway arch is an oval plaque recording the names of the churchwardens for 1831 and the Salesbury family motto, 'Na werth nef er benthyg byd'. The face to the street has three similar sash windows above and two similar casement windows below. Over the door is a plaque commemorating the gift of the building by the Clarke family of Eyarth Hall in 1937. Small forecourt enclosed by a stone wall with an iron gate.

Reasons for Listing

A fine pre-Victorian parish house the character of which has been well preserved; listed also for group value with the Church of St Cynfarch and St Mary.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.