This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2753 / 53°16'31"N
Longitude: -3.2625 / 3°15'45"W
OS Eastings: 315908
OS Northings: 376116
OS Grid: SJ159761
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZNK.GL
Mapcode Global: WH76J.VXLY
Entry Name: West Gate
Listing Date: 25 May 2001
Last Amended: 25 May 2001
Source ID: 25253
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W edge of the grounds of Pantasaph Friary and facing S. The lane on its W side runs N to Carmel.
Community: Whitford (Chwitffordd)
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Church of St David, begun in 1849 to the design of T H Wyatt, was built by Lord and Lady Fielding in honour of their marriage. A year later, the church became Roman Catholic on the conversion of the donors. Lord and Lady Fielding established a community of Franciscan Friars of the Capuchin reform in 1852, and the friary buildings were built between 1858 and 1865.
The house is probably contemporary with the friary buildings, and is located at a secondary entrance on the W side of the complex. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1871 and may have been a lodge.
Symmetrical 3-window 2-storey house with rear wing offset to E, constructed of random stone under a shallow-pitched slate roof with projecting stone end stacks. The openings are under segmental-arched heads of stone voussoirs. Central wooden door with 3-pane overlight flanked by 3-light wooden casement windows with horizontal glazing bars. Three windows to 1st floor, all 2-light casements with a horizontal glazing bar. Small lean-to porch to rear, in angle of main range and rear wing. Small light above. The rear wing has an end stack extended in brick and a casement window to the W at ground floor level. E side of wing not visible.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as an unaltered mid-C19 house, prominently sited and contributing to the character of the friary complex and for group value with friary, church and guest-house at Pantasaph.
Other nearby listed buildings