This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3311 / 53°19'52"N
Longitude: -3.8306 / 3°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 278188
OS Northings: 383142
OS Grid: SH781831
Mapcode National: GBR 1YPX.HL
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.4J5M
Entry Name: Happy Valley Toll Office
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 25307
Building Class: Transport
Location: About 300m NW of pier, forming entrance to Marine Drive.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
1878. A pedestrian path, Cust's Path, had been engineered in the cliff faces of the Great Orme in the 1850's, so vertiginous that Gladstone complained that he had had to blindfolded in order to be led along certain sections. In 1872, The Great Orme's Head Marine Drive Co was inaugurated to convert the path to a carriage drive. Work began in September 1875, and was completed in 1878.
Toll office faced with rusticated stone blocks of different rectangular and square sizes. Embattled parapets with mock machicolation. Pedestrian arch adjoining office to the right hand. The office is a narrow single storey structure with vaulted pedestrian passageway beside it to the north-east, the latter incorporating remnants of cast-iron toll gates and in addition an unglazed window opening with pointed head in wall to sea. Entrance to pedestrian passage through pointed archway in south-east elevation with a plaque above the archway bearing the following inscription: "Great Ormes Head/Marine Drive/ - Chairman Joseph Evans/-Directors-/St John Charton JP Thomas Williams/James Nichol MD
Major J L Thursby/Secretary RS Chamberlain/Engineer A Foulkes/Erected 1878". South-east elevation of lodge with a bay window with sash lights. South-west elevation with buttress.
Well-preserved late C19 toll office. Group value with adjacent toll lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings