This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.904 / 51°54'14"N
Longitude: -4.5397 / 4°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 225377
OS Northings: 225876
OS Grid: SN253258
Mapcode National: GBR D4.QBLT
Mapcode Global: VH2NQ.8DCR
Entry Name: Capel y Graig and attached railings and gates
Listing Date: 7 June 2001
Last Amended: 7 June 2001
Source ID: 25465
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just W of the school near the centre of the village of Cwmbach.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1828 altered in 1928 internally. The cause began in 1742, with a first chapel built in 1756, improved in 1774, rebuilt in 1808, improved in 1828 and renewed in 1928 according to the plaque. Early C19 forecourt railings and gates enclosing 2 sides of courtyard.
Chapel, rubble stone with slate hipped roof. Long-wall facade with arched windows and doors, two centre windows, 2 outer doors and 2 upper outer gallery lights, all with cement surrounds, cement plinth. Glazing is of 1928 with marginal bars and radiating-bar heads, later C20 double 6-panel doors with radiating bar fanlights. Centre plaque. Rendered windowless side walls, rear wall with 2 small 6-pane sashes to gallery and 2 12-pane sashes below, not aligned.
To front and left forecourt has low Glogue stone walls with slate coping and spearhead iron rails, larger stanchions with cast-iron finials. Two slate monolith gate piers with pointed tops and wrought iron gates with scroll spearheads and lower dog-bars. Top rail is ramped down to middle.
Interior has was refitted in 1928. The three-sided gallery is earlier, the column supports having been replaced with girders during this refitting. Gallery front in painted grained wood has cornice under vertical panels with intermittent panelled pilasters and curved angles. Centre square panel with clock. Raked pews in gallery. Main pews are pitch pine with panelled backs and shaped bench-ends. Three blocks. Similar curving great seat and 2 inward-facing pews backing onto internal porches surround pulpit platform. Pulpit of 1875 with big turned newels and ball finials to balustraded steps up each side and matching concave curved balustrades to platform curving out to pulpit front which has 2 panels of figured wood with bookrest over. Base of platform has attached centre bench and recessed benches in incurved flanks. Timber arched aedicule behind pulpit.
Ceiling is diagonally boarded in 4 main panels with large roundel to centre and narrow border, the roundel infilled with lattice pattern of timber strips.
Included as an early C19 large rural chapel with unusual interior of 1928
Other nearby listed buildings