This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8136 / 51°48'48"N
Longitude: -4.4957 / 4°29'44"W
OS Eastings: 228060
OS Northings: 215719
OS Grid: SN280157
Mapcode National: GBR D6.WX3G
Mapcode Global: VH3LL.1P42
Entry Name: Lychgate to the Parish Church, including wall to N
Listing Date: 11 June 2001
Last Amended: 11 June 2001
Source ID: 25472
Building Class: Miscellaneous
Location: Situated at the church entrance, S of Cross House Stores, opposite the Town Hall.
Community: St. Clears (Sanclêr)
Community: St. Clears
Locality: St Clears
Built-Up Area: St Clears
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Lychgate, 1911 by George M. Hammer and Co., Bermondsey. Erected to the memory of William Phillips (d 1870), by Eliza Phillips of the Kieffe.
Timber lychgate on dwarf stone walls, gabled with slate roof, red tile ridges and Celtic cross finials. Six pairs of squared timber uprights rising from low, rock-faced coursed stone side walls with square end piers. Simple collar-rafter roof, but with elaborate carved Gothic work to front gable, brattished tie-beam with open ogee cusped arcade with 3 quatrefoils above, and ornately cusped matching bargeboard. The tie beam is inscribed "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord". Paired timber gates. Simpler rear truss, tie-beam, collar, queen struts and diagonal struts.
The rubble stone wall to left of lychgate on the street, has projecting 3-sided stone, fragment of an ancient stone cross, with modern, rendered cross set above.
Included as a good early C20 lychgate with group value in this closely built-up street.
Other nearby listed buildings